Toy's R' Us Sucks

This post is about the unfair return policy of Toys'R'Us. I don't know how many other stores operate like this but I will never shop at Toys' R' Us again. I don't care if they brainwashed all of us with their little commercials back in the days, you remember the song don't ya

"I don't wanna grow up"
"I'm a Toy's R Us Kid"
Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla
"It's the biggest toy store there is"
Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla

They may be the biggest but Toys R Us prices are definitely not the cheapest - A big rip off if you ask me - but they can sell for whatever price they want.

Anyways, during my Christmas shopping I bought my son a blow up remote control four foot robot. He liked the toy when he opened it up Christmas morning but after putting air in the different sections of the robot we realized that there was a little tear in the head part so the air would leak out slowly but surely.

No problem I told my wife, I'll just return it to were I purchased it - Toy's R' Us. I barely took it back in yesterday which is January 6th. Told them I wanted a replacement, they said it would be no problem, just go get a new one. I looked through the isles but did not see any more and let them know that. They said they would see if they had anymore and discovered that they are out of stock and would not be getting anymore. I said O.K., no problem, just give me my $40.00 back. They said there are no cash returns on anything electrical (Anything that uses batteries). WHAT! GIVE ME MY DAMN MONEY BACK!

This really angered me because I wanted my money back so that I can find the robot somewhere else. Instead, they gave me a dumb Toys' R' Us gift card which forces me to get something else from their store for $40.00. I didn't have to get it right there on the spot, I have the card in my wallet at this moment. But Toys' R' Us return policy sucks and I will never again shop there again or any other place that operates like that.

I will now look for and buy the robot somewhere else and will have to get something with that certificate at Toys' R' Us'. I might as well use it right, what am I going to do? Let them keep my $40? Of course not.

To sum up this post: "Toys R Us" SUCKS! Don't shop there!

10 comments:

Pussy Willow said...

I'll put these jerk-offs on my never-shop-there list. It's one thing to refuse to give a refund on something that you've changed your mind about. But when the item you bought is defective and they can't replace it then they absolutely should give you your money back. Anything else is unethical and crooked, if you ask me.

But definitely use that gift card. I read an article that said stores just love selling and giving out gift cards because many people never use them and that's just money-for-nothing for the store.

bdwick said...

I wonder what would happen if you bought something with the gift card and then returned the merchandise. Would they give you cash then? I don't know..it's worth a try. I'm not all about being dishonest, but when they pull crap like that, I'm all for stickin' it to 'em. I know it's a policy, but there's always room for exceptions and this case sounds like one of those exceptions.

Sassys said...

Sassys

and IN FRONT of the store manager...walk out of the store, turn around and return the item! LOL.

mrhobbie said...

Well, I took my son to buy what ever he wanted with that gift card. I just so happen to take him to a different Toys R Us, since I was on another side of town. Guess what, they had dozens of the robot there and since that is what my son wanted still, I just used the card and got a new one. I will still stick with my 'No shopping at Toys' R Us' way of thinking still though. Thanks for the support on this one you guys.

modelmom said...

they have the worst return policy on earth and yet they are affiliated with babies r us who have a great returns policy. makes NO sense.

my son had a helmet set sent to him by the g-parents for christmas which was 2 sizes too small (my kid has a huge noggin). we took the helmet to toys r us to return it (the grandparents told us they had bought it there but didnt have the gift receipt....they are of the generation that just never had to do such a thing) and even though toys r us carries the helmet and it was even gift wrapped with their trademarked paper, the helmet was unopened, etc. they wouldnt even so much as give us a straight trade for a larger size. the customer service chick was just plain rude adding insult to injury.

i emailed toys r us about this and they replied that there is nothing they can do about it so i took the helmet to target, actually TOLD them it was from toys r us along with the while story and they graciously took the helmet and gave me a gift card for the sale price. so...i wont be going to tru ever again but am LOVING my target.

mrhobbie said...

That is so annoying. What would they lose by just giving a straight trade up for a different size helmet. Your right about Target too, I'vereturned things there even after losing my receipt and they still will give me credit or an exchange. It's funny you say that the girl had an attitude because it seems to me most people who work there have bad attitudes. Remember that part of their commercial jingo it would say:

"It's the friendliest toy store there is - Gee whiz"
"I don't wanna grow up....................................."

What a bunch of crock! Not so friendly ha. Glad Target helped you out.

modelmom said...

yeah, that's laughable! i find them to be flat out rude there. i dont get it. if you hate the world so much why the heck are you working in a TOY STORE!? ugh.

plus....they are more expensive than target for the same items. they can keep their rotten attitudes and policies. i wont be shopping with them anymore.

Spookyyank said...

I've shopped at Toys R Us off and on for years, though I've never had to return anything. The only issue I've had was with Walmart and their return policy. Depending on the store (I think) they even limit the number of items you can return to them! Being that my sister has 7 kids and the quality of their products isn't always there - she's had to return things on a number of occasions for different reasons. The Walmart in Big Spring, Texas actually STOPPED TAKING HER RETURNS! The excuse was that she'd returned too many items and it was at their discression not to take anymore. What a load of crap!

mrhobbie said...

Spookyyank, I've heard about that. I think most stores are going to start that limited returned items thing. I don't think it's right. The way I see it is as long as something is not opened or damaged what's the problem, know what I mean. Oh well, what are we gonna do. :)

Spookyyank said...

It was pretty humiliating for her and that was her biggest problem - the way they handled it. But, it's still stupid. I remember when Penny's had their unconditional return policy. I worked in their portrait studo when I was 18 and one co-worker told me how she'd retuned a pair of shoes - completey worn out, but they still took them! I never had the nerve to do it, though! LOL